In this day and age I am still amazed at the misconceptions the public has about REALTORS. Let me try to shed some light!
1. REALTORS are not paid a salary. They are only paid when you use them to buy or sell a house that actually goes to closing!
2. They pay for their own gas.
3. They do not have a company car.
4. Whatever the commission is, they only get part of it. Part of it goes to their broker, to a relocation company, to a referral company. And they pay all their expenses and marketing dollars out of that commission. Oh yeah - and pay taxes.
5. If a REALTOR buys you lunch, there is no company behind them paying for it. It actually comes out of their pocket.
6. If a REALTOR sells a lot of houses it isn't because they sell them for a low price - it's because they do a good job at marketing and negotiating.
7. We don't get kick backs for referring you to people we trust.
8. We do have a LIFE and are not available at the drop of a hat - and come to think of it, neither is your doctor, CPA, dentist. And just like other professionals, we will do our best to accommodate you.
9. We truly want to make you happy because we want you to refer us to your friends.
10. We have continuing education we must take every year (12 hours) and we have a Code of Ethics that we must adhere to.
So there you go - just a few things that I thought I should share with you today! And Remember, when you are thinking about real estate, Call the Pat Wattam Team at RE/MAX First!